I love decorating for Christmas! All the lights, garlands, glitter and ribbon are so pretty, especially if you’re decorating while listening to Bing Crosby and Elvis Presley favorites! Here’s what you need to make this festive holiday door. You can get just about everything you need from Hobby Lobby, Michaels or AC Moore.
- Hooks – I like the Command Hooks that won’t take the paint off when Christmas is over.
- Garland – I light the pre lighted kind, buy any will do. You’ll need enough to go around your door frame.
- Floral Wire – Use to make puffy mesh sections and to attach ornaments.
- Mesh – Buy very wide (21 inch) mesh in a 10 yards spool.
- Ornaments – I like to have a variety of shapes, sizes and color to dress the door up.
- Bow – Use a big bow to place in the top center of your door.
Begin by placing a hook in the top center of your door frame. Then space them out every few feet to hold the garland. Hang the garland completely around the door frame using the hooks to hold them up.
Don’t worry about the plug hanging down in the center. Just use some wire to tighten up the slack and hide it.
Start by unrolling the mesh and dividing it in half. Twist some floral wire around the center of the half way mark and pin it to the center of the door.
Begin on one side making poofy sections of the mesh and using floral wire to attach to the garland. Poof it until you are happy with the shape.
String together clusters of ornaments (I like 3) with the floral wire.
Then twist the floral wire around the garland and mesh to adhere the ornaments in between all the poofs.
Lastly, finish off by using the floral wire to adhere the bow to the top center of your door. It looks really pretty when it’s getting dark and ornaments glimmer off the lights in the garland.
Have you started decorating yet?